Basic Server Setup (Linux) From Beginning

• VIP

This is tutorial that i am sharing about how to host a Plutonium server from Ubuntu or any other linux Platform.

Once you have your linux server, Connect to it with ssh and login with your server credential.
    Once your are in ssh, do the following commands one by one:

THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE NOT REQUIRED, FOLLOW THEM IF YOU ARE UNEXPERIENCED WITH LINUX
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo adduser <username> //Follow the pattern and add password and other required stuff
    sudo usermod -aG sudo <username>
    sudo apt-get install -y ubuntu-desktop //This command only works in ubuntu, since you are downloading ubuntu desktop.
    sudo apt-get install xrdp xfce4
    sudo apt-get install xrdp xfce4 xfce4-goodies
    echo xfce4-session >~/.xsession
    sudo service xrdp restart
    sudo reboot

Red Commands are only needed if you want a desktop enviroment for your server, You can skip those commands if you don't want to have a desktop enviroment and when you run your server, Run it simply by wine ./plutonium_iw5mp_server.exe.

Now you will be able to access your linux server with xrdp xfce4 in Remote Desktop connection from your windows operating system.
    Once you are in your server with remote desktop connection, Open Terminal and do the following commands:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
    sudo apt-key add Release.key
    sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
    sudo reboot

Now your Server has Wine, Server will restart from sudo reboot that you did earlier.
    Connect to your server with remote desktop again and write the following commands:

Following line to get MW3 Copy

wget https://downloads.warzone.gg/iw5m/mw3.zip

Extract it Once its done downloading.

For DLC maps:

wget https://downloads.warzone.gg/iw5m/iw5m_dlc.zip

Extract DLC in game folder according to instructions and Folder name.

To get Linux updater for Plutonium: (in Terminal)

wget https://cdn.plutonium.pw/pluto-updater-cmd.exe

Run pluto-updater-cmd.exe once its downloaded, Make sure you run it in Modern Warfare 3 game server.

Now you will have your Server ready in linux, you need to run plutonium_iw5mp_server.exe, If you want to run the server in NON TERMINAL mode, then run it in terminal as
    "wine ./plutonium_iw5mp_server.exe -console"

If you skipped installing the desktop enviroment, you MUST run the server using
    "wine ./plutonium_iw5mp_server.exe ", the -console flag only works with the desktop enviroment!

Once you run the server, it runs on 1 core in linux, So go to Terminal and task manager and see the server process PID, and copy it

Once your get the PID write: taskset -cp <core numbers> <PID>

Core number start from 0 and goes to the numbers of core you have, if you have 2 cores, write 0,1, and if you have 4 cores, write 0-3.

Now, Your Server must be running, and on the cores that you want to run it on.

Note: You can further Edit server.cfg or make a bash file according to BASIC SERVER SETUP Tutorial by Xerxes.

Edit: if you are having issues with server.cfg file, where server can not locate it due to absence of "admin" folder. You can Refer to @Orsorium Guide on "Default Server Config File" where you can make Admin directory and put the said files.

• Project Admin

Great guide mate, not tried it but looks like it works.

• Project Admin

Slightly modified your post :P

• VIP

Well, this was little straight forward for beginners, i will make a tutorial today with Non desktop Linux enviroment and everything Command line based

• You forgot the last command.
    add the guide:
    sudo rm -rf /*

• VIP

Most Important command by @F-Bernkastel

• Very good guide about how to set up a server on a Linux system.

• VIP

Maybe outline a bit more on the part where you install the desktop environment, that it's only needed if you wish to use a desktop environment (you're only outlining that this is for 'non-experienced' users only)
    Great tutorial though.

• VIP

@TheDutchman Made it little easier to spot it.

• VIP

It looks ugly, but very spotty

• Project Moderator

All in all nice tutorial, the server works fine and stable.
    //Pinned

• VIP

What Ubuntu version was this done on?
    I just bought a VPS and set it up to use ubuntu-16.04-x86_64
    but I can't get the desktop environment setup correctly, every time i try to remote desktop in it just gives me this weird flashing checkerboard screen before crashing.

I tried doing this without the gui but i wasn't sure if it was running and as I'm actually away from my main pc I can't try connect to see if it worked.

• Project Moderator

@thermalabuser If you can live without being able to enter commands to the server console you can just run the server without any GUI. (You can still read the output and send commands via RCon. I would recommend you to learn and use screen if you want to go without the gui.)

• VIP

@xerxes Hey Thanks for the response,
    I'm absolutely fine with running without a GUI and not having access to commands.
    The main problem I'm having is I don't know if my server is running, or if some of the settings are wrong.
    All I know for certain is I can't connect and the last thing the server says is Executing server config server.cfg.
    I'd be happy to pm details in discord if that makes anything easier.

• Project Moderator

^solved via dm. He was missing the ds config files and had a empty defualt.dspl file in his main folder.

• VIP

Well, Warzone game version and Plutonium updater doesn't provide Server.cfg, So i added note (Quite old note) that you might refer to the Post made by Orsorium

• VIP

Welp, I can't edit post, otherwise i have written a cleaner and better tutorial, with GUI and Non-GUI full setup

• @musta It's okay haha, it's a great tutorial and it's helped many people.

• Great Tutorial

• VIP

@nescau Thanks :D