Two nice to have features for dedicated servers.

• Project Moderator

Feature:
    Option to auto complete server commands and variables.
    Description:
    There should be an option to autocomplete a command or variable by pressing Tab
    Motivation:
    This feature should be added to the server, since it would speed up server administration.

Feature:
    Option to filter the console output with regular expressions.
    Description:
    There should be an option to filter the console output based on regular expressions so useless output can be filtered.
    Motivation:
    This feature would allow server admins to tidy up the output of the console.

Both are rather special suggestions and should be treated with a low priority.

• Project Admin

@Xerxes said in Two nice to have features for dedicated servers.:

Feature:
    Option to auto complete server commands and variables.
    Description:
    There should be an option to autocomplete a command or variable by pressing Tab
    Motivation:
    This feature should be added to the server, since it would speed up server administration.

Feature:
    Option to filter the console output with regular expressions.
    Description:
    There should be an option to filter the console output based on regular expressions so useless output can be filtered.
    Motivation:
    This feature would allow server admins to tidy up the output of the console.

Both are rather special suggestions and should be treated with a low priority.

Those would require a stdout window, because that'd be a pain in the ass to do with win32.

• Project Moderator

As said these are nice to have features and won't harm anyone if they are not implemented. I guess hooking the function which would print stuff to the text box isn't as easy as I thought it is. The same probably applies to changing text of the input text box when one presses tab. Well I'm not a c++ developer ^^

• Project Admin

@Xerxes said in Two nice to have features for dedicated servers.:

As said these are nice to have features and won't harm anyone if they are not implemented. I guess hooking the function which would print stuff to the text box isn't as easy as I thought it is. The same probably applies to changing text of the input text box when one presses tab. Well I'm not a c++ developer ^^

It is in .NET, however, in C++ it is not :P

• Project Admin

Actually, no stdout output needed - this can easily be done with Win32, I'd be happy to take care of it (though as you've said, they are low priority features for later releases). If I understand you right @Xerxes, you want server operators to be able to define a regex in server.cfg (via a dvar) that would be applied to all console output so that spam can be pruned?

• Project Moderator

Exactly.

But something much simpler like ignoring the line if it contains a word on a black list would also work and would use a few CPU cycles less than regex. (Yes I know its not much and to check if a string matches a regex isn't much harder than checking if it does contain a sub-string)

• Project Admin

The way I see it:

sv_pruneMode
    Controls the prune mode for console output.
    Domain is one of the following:
      0 - no pruning (all output sent to console window)
      1 - substring (sv_pruneFilter is treated as a csv-list of values; if one or more is present in the output string, ignore it)
      2 - regex (sv_pruneFilter is a regular expression applied to all output; if it matches, it's printed)

sv_pruneFilter
    Specifies the prune filter. See sv_pruneMode for details.
    Domain is any string

• Project Moderator

@marty Looks good, but shouldn't the output be ignored if the regex matches as well? (Otherwise you would have a csv list working as Blacklist/filter and a regex working as Whitelist.)

• Project Admin

@Xerxes Yeah, I guess I need opinions from people like you here - experienced server operators. I myself am not really sure whether a blacklist or a whitelist would be better :P

• Project Moderator

@marty IMHO a blacklist. Since the tidiness of the console isn't nearly as important than crutial information that could be missed by a whitelist. Also how would one create a whitelist if the console is empty?