Launcher / Updater suggestions

• Project Admin

Hello everyone, I've recently joined staff to pick up the development of the launcher (which already was mine) and I'm looking into what needs fixing / changing / adding, so I'm coming to you to ask what features you would like adding, what you would like fixed, etc.

So far this is what I have noted:

• Fix the breaking %localappdata% / Updating_PU.exe when people run it while it's updating already.
    • Change the way it requires administrator permissions and prevent it starting the game as administrator
    • Custom DX lib support
    • Protocol handler for connecting to servers
    • Add a multi user mode for the players that share a PC with someone so they can switch between profiles quickly.
    • Show the (latest) changelog during the update process.
    • Look into beta being available to all
    • Register button / form for new users
    • Look into file size / download speed

Thanks for your feedback!

• Project Moderator

Support for custom direct x libraries like Reshade and a custom protocol handler to connect to a server through an website / external application would be nice to have features that could improve the launcher.

• Project Admin

Add a password for the beta build so its harder for people to select the branch. Doesn't have to be secure, it's just so new people don't select it without knowing what it does and then complain they can't connect. If the password leaks its that persons own fault for selecting a branch they don't have access too and using a leaked password.

• Project Admin

@mr-incredible said in Launcher / Updater suggestions:

Add a password for the beta build so its harder for people to select the branch. Doesn't have to be secure, it's just so new people don't select it without knowing what it does and then complain they can't connect. If the password leaks its that persons own fault for selecting a branch they don't have access too and using a leaked password.

Is the beta a closed thing for select users or is it open to all but requires knowing what you're doing to use?

• Project Moderator

@seditio Its a closed branch that can only be used with an invite (#plutonium_testing on the Discord).

• Project Admin

Gotta be in a certain usergroup IIRC to even connect to the beta masterserver, hence people get told they can't authenticate.

• Project Moderator

@mr-incredible said in Launcher / Updater suggestions:

Gotta be in a certain usergroup IIRC to even connect to the beta masterserver, hence people get told they can't authenticate.

Normally the launcher should only show the beta branch to players that are allowed to run it but that got broken at some point.

• Project Admin

@xerxes said in Launcher / Updater suggestions:

Normally the launcher should only show the beta branch to players that are allowed to run it but that got broken at some point.

Will look into that

• Project Moderator

Add a multi user mode for the players that share a PC with someone so they can switch between profiles quickly.
    Add a command line parameter to skip the UI, update and start the game.
    Show the (latest) changelog during the update process. (Use the RSS feed function of the forum for this one)

• Register link or window. whatever easy for you. as I requested on discord.

• Automatically option to sign in, update, start game while opening PU.exe

• Info on current version installed and new version of update along with the file size download speed of the update.

• Project Admin

Wouldn't that lead to people using it in a shortcut, forgetting it's there and then complaining their game isn't up to date?

@fry said in Launcher / Updater suggestions:

Automatically option to sign in, update, start game while opening PU.exe

This used to be a thing, did it get changed or broken?

• Project Moderator

@seditio said in Launcher / Updater suggestions:

Wouldn't that lead to people using it in a shortcut, forgetting it's there and then complaining their game isn't up to date?

He says still update the game if required.
    So like maybe if update available ignore skip ui parameter and just show gui as normal or even an error message telling them they need to update.

• @seditio Changed I believe. I have to press the play button to start the game after login

• Project Moderator

@Seditio @h3x1c Jup, on faster connections the ui could be always skipped but I guess a minimalized UI (maybe only a window with a loading bar) for lower end connections when it needs to download files would be nice. It takes longer for the UI to load than to actually check / launch the game on my PC.

• Project Admin

Had an idea about this stuff, it'll still show a window as it checks for update, and will autostart, unless you press and hold shift (for settings that will be discussed in staff).

So essentially, start the game automatically unless shift is held at that point?

• VIP

@Seditio I implemented autolaunching when starting the launcher with flag -autolaunch in e6bde230 (which the - also never released - shortcut creation adds by default), it just never left master.

• Project Admin

@thedutchman Will look into it, probably going to be some major rewriting though, since I'm still not happy with the way languages/controls are parsed

• VIP

@seditio Ye the language "system" is a god awful mess.
    On the bright side, at least the language system is the most messy part now, instead of the entire application 😛. (the old JSON parsing made me puke)