Party Servers

• Project Moderator

Feature details: Party servers similar to iw4x(but are stable lol), join them like any other dedicated server but once joined they act like a matchmaking lobby as in after each match they return to the lobby. If implemented some sort of visual queue should be used to identify between standard match servers and party servers in the server list.

Image:
    0_1519216264458_547586-call-of-duty-mw3-windows-screenshot-kill-confirmed-a-new-game.jpg

Motivation: It would be nice to have both the benefits of a dedicated server yet still maintain the advantage of being able to easy change class setup after each game without leaving the server and vote on what the map should be played next. I think this would be a nice addition to the client and would please players wanting a experience similar to standard matchmaking.

• VIP

@h3x1c I am WAY too tired to read stuff properly right now so my apologise if I get this wrong.

Are you saying lobbies (say like 5+ people) that acts as an area where the group can edit classes and such, before connecting to existing dedicated servers as a group?

Because if that is what you are saying, then yeah I think that would be a very cool and useful feature for when the community grows and we have a decent playerbase.

TLDR, +1 from Thermal :)

• Project Admin

@RektInator Do you mind if I put this in your queue?

• Project Moderator

@ThermalAbuser
    Cool idea but no, if you want a real world example they already exist on iw4x.

So the idea is:
    Two types of servers: Match(ones that already exist in pluto), party(the one i'm suggesting) both types of servers will be shown on the server list but something to distinguish between the two should be introduced I think.

-Player goes to server list-> Joins a server that happens to be a party server.
    -This puts the player in a lobby like the one shown in the photo in my post or if the match has already started for that server straight into the game.
    -From now on it acts just as a matchmaking lobby would on steam.

Just imagine steam matchmaking but the dedi server is the host.

• Project Moderator

IMHO we should not seperate the servers into 2 categories, otherwhise we end up like IW4x where noone plays on the party servers.

• Project Moderator

@xerxes said in Party Servers:

IMHO we should not seperate the servers into 2 categories, otherwhise we end up like IW4x where noone plays on the party servers.

This was only really the case as party servers on iw4x were not stable at all and had issues & it's not separating it's just a type of server similar to how different servers have different game modes, they will be shown in the same server list. If it was a choice of only having one server type then it would be the current implementation on pluto, I suggested this only an extra option/feature. As Mr. Incredible said i'd treat it as a nice to have feature.

• VIP

@xerxes What about the idea I accidentally came up with while trying to understand parties?
    Party/Squad starts waiting in a lobby, can create classes etc, then host can search for a game and a random dedicated server is selected.

Filters can be included to narrow down different types of servers, e.g FFA or TDM.

To prevent Private servers from being included, only servers with a certain variable set in their server.cfg should be searched. e.g " seta sv_searchable 0/1 "

Idk just throwing ideas...

• Project Moderator

@h3x1c I know, we played on my party server on IW4x...

• Project Moderator

• VIP

@xerxes One day I'll suggest a useful and unique idea...

• Project Moderator

@thermalabuser said in Party Servers:

To prevent Private servers from being included, only servers with a certain variable set in their server.cfg should be searched. e.g " seta sv_searchable 0/1 "

Why not use g_password ?

• VIP

@xerxes What I meant but described terribly was, Servers that aren't private as in they are password protected.
    But for whatever reason the server's owner chooses it to not be searchable in these matchmaking lobbies.

I think I need to start getting someone else to compose these messages for me...

• @H3X1C I like the idea man... I hope it gets accepted :D

• I think I mention this before to Prometheus but I forgot his response but I would love to see this happen as well.