[Feature][IW5]Increase player position accuracy and Hitreg

Topic created ยท 8 Posts ยท 484 Views
  • Hello,

These older cods that relied on p2p and matchmaking have abysmal update frequencies even for their time. Fortunately for the new games the community freaks out when games send data at anything less than 60Hz. I am hoping it is possible for this game to be updated to and perhaps beyond modern standards.

I would like to place a bounty on allowing server admins to customize the "tickrate" or world simulation frequency on a dedicated server, and for the server to enforce some client variables to enhance the experience. Some leads I have gotten from googling is the snaps variable but I'm not sure if that works in IW5.

Goal:
    $100 - Customize server tickrate, or have it fixed at 60 tick or 100+ tick and have it send updates to the client to match the tickrate(The server currently sends updates at 10Hz). Allowing the server to run at say 500Hz while updating clients at 100Hz would also be fine.

$20 - Create server variables to control cl_maxpackets(or set the default to an acceptable value like 60) similar to sv_minrate and sv_maxrate

Total: $120 - will also pay for either of the features individually.

Updating player positions on the client with 100ms between each update is terrible and results in an awful experience especially when some packet loss occurs and an update or two is missed and the player teleports everywhere. Raising the tickrate typically results in a significant CPU usage increase but since servers only support 18 players there is plenty of headroom. It will also increase bandwidth requirements and if implemented admins should be advised to choose settings that match their hardware and network because the experience can be worsened if either of those are lacking.

Thank you to the devs for putting time into this project and I hope this is possible!

• We will take a look at implementing this feature. We will likely attempt to apply the same patches on T6.

• @RektInator Thanks!

Yeah it would be awesome to be able to use it on T6 as well!

EDIT: Demonstrating the feature can be done using Wireshark I/O graphs. Here are some for a public IW5 server:

Download Packets

Upload Packets
    Upload is with cl_maxpackets set to 125 and ~300fps.

• 20โ‚ฌ from me if this gets done.

Depending on when this gets done I might only be able to send the money some weeks/ a month delayed, I wont forget to send it tho. ๐Ÿ™‚

• I'll throw in another $20 USD. Tag me when it's done ๐Ÿ™‚

• Howdy,

Is this bounty still something being looked at? This would be a huge upgrade ๐Ÿ™‚

• @TMCPayton Hey - thanks for the interest. Most of our feature bounties are currently on hold whilst we prioritize some other features such as T4 (WaW) and Game-UI and some other bits we can't talk about yet.

They are kept in our issue tracker though and any developer is welcome to take a look if they have the time to dedicate to it, but with Pluto, Work / Uni etc - that time is rare right now.

• This would be a HUGE upgrade, I'd chip in 20โ‚ฌ if we can get 120+ tick rate servers running smoothly.