Playing WAW Plutonium on Linux (Using Wine)
I been playing around with Plutonium on Linux and want to share this guide on how to get it to run on Linux using Wine.
- Install COD WAW. You can install it using Steam or with the retail disk in Wine. If you are installing the game with the retail disk, you need to install each patch in Wine also.
- Create a Wine prefix for COD WAW Plutonium. It can be a 32 bit or 64 bit Wine prefix. Plutonium works with Wine 8.0.1. You can download this version of wine and many other wine version from Kron4ek.
- Install Winetricks if it is not installed yet
- In the terminal, enter the following commands to install these dependencies into the Wine prefix. I want to thank this guide on finding out what dependencies are needed. I did remove most of the dependencies since all seems to work fine with only these one being installed for COD WAW using Plutonium. However you may need more dependencies when setting up other COD titles with Plutonium in Wine.
sudo winetricks --self-update WINEPREFIX="/path/to/wine/prefix" winetricks -q --force dotnet48 WINEPREFIX="/path/to/wine/prefix" winetricks -q d3dcompiler_47
- Download Plutonium EXE
- Place the Plutonium EXE inside your Wine prefix c_drive folder "/path/to/wine/prefix/drive_c/plutonium.exe"
- Run the Plutonium EXE inside the Wine Prefix
- Once Plutonium is running, go the T4 Multiplayer or T4 Coop/Zombies menu in Plutonium and click on Game Settings.
- Set the game path to the directory were COD WAW is installed. If you installed the game using Steam, the path will be in the Z:\ drive. By default the steam games directory is Z:\home\USERNAME.steam\steam\steamapps\common\Call of Duty World at War\ which may need to be manually typed in since the /.steam/ directory in the home folder is hidden. If you installed the game using the retail disk, the path will be in the C:\ drive.
- Your now all set!
The strange thing is that I cannot get Plutonium to work in Proton 8.0-4 or any version of Proton. What is also strange is that COD WAW game by itself does work with Wine 8.0.1 and Proton 8.0-4 but mods will not work with Wine 8.0.1 and Proton 8.0-4. COD WAW game by itself works with Wine 4.0.1 and Proton 4.11-3 and mods work on this older version of Wine and Proton. Plutonium does not work with older versions of Wine such as 4.0.1 and has not worked with any version of Proton yet. However playing the game using Plutonium with mods do work with Wine 8.0.1. I do not understand why using mods does not work with the base COD WAW game with Wine 8.0.1 or Proton 8.0-4 but when using Plutonium, mods do work when using Wine 8.0.1.