Run a server with wine

Topic created · 4 Posts · 87 Views
  • I try to run a server with wine in my debian vps. When I start the server it crash with error 0xC0000005.

• As I understand Linux version of dedicated servers are not maintained because its working 'well' under wine.
    From my experience, yes it is working on wine but consume a lot of CPU/ram and it usually crashed (but its acceptable).

I never tried on windows so I dont know if its better on it.

To make it work I had to mess with vcruntime and co, it was not an easy task, far away from a common download/install/run process.

• @brostosjoined no you can't, the server doesn't run natively on linux.
    @chacha18 ye performance is pretty good on windows, could you maybe tell us what exactly you did to make it work?

• @Dss0
    I'm on debian, firstly I add winehq repository in my source.list.
    checkout wine wiki

I am using winehq-devel (6.0-rc1 as today)

Then I created a wine prefix:

WINEPREFIX=<PATH_TO_YOURNEW_PREFIX> wineboot

And then, the hardest part, get the correct runtime working.
    After a few try I end with dotnet472. Before I tried with winemono wich is a free/open reimplementation but without success.
    To do that:

WINEPREFIX=<PATH_TO_YOURNEW_PREFIX> winetricks dotnet472

Be patient ! This step take a long time because there is a lot of workaround to fully install it. In fact it is sequentially installing older version with a few wine hacks.

After this, you should be able to run plutonium.exe...
    But ! I had another issue, the GUI was not showing up, but it was working in background.
    So I call the install command and waited for the download process to finish, and then start the dedicated server in command line... and... tAdAdA, it worked !